Eye Creams that Work!

Hi everyone! Today I’ll be talking about two eye creams that I’ve been using for the past 5-6 weeks that have been working really well for me. You might recall seeing a mention of these on my Snapchat or Instagram some time back. When it comes to eye creams, I’ve had more misses than hits and there’s no particular brand or product that I’ve been compelled to repurchase. But I’ve finally stumbled upon two options that have shown really good results for me.

Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream

Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream

Clarins Extra-Firming Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream

Clarins Extra-Firming Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream

The first one is the Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream (Rs 2150 for 15 ml, available at nykaa). This comes in an opaque orange plastic tube with a pop-out ball tip applicator. This promises to brighten and awaken the eyes with its hydrating, de-puffing, brightening formula. The texture of this eye cream is a happy medium between a rich, heavy duty cream and a light gel-cream. It feels emollient enough to hydrate and smoothen my slightly dry under eyes but doesn’t feel greasy. It forms a nice base for concealer as it helps the product glide easier without causing creasing.

The formula is fragrance-free and ophthalmologically tested. This contains a good balance of moisturizing ingredients (glycerin, squalane), anti-oxidants and peptides, which together help in improving the appearance of the under eye area. My under eye area feels soft, looks fresh and hydrated and the presence of light-reflecting mica (very subtle), adds a faint brightening effect. Overall, this is a really good eye cream that does a bit of everything and for people who don’t have any one particular serious concern, like deep lines, heavy dark circles or serious eye bags, this would work very well in maintaining a healthy looking eye area.

Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream

Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream

The Clarins Extra-Firming Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream is a little more heavy duty than the Clinique one and I prefer to use this in the night time. The texture is a little heavier, feels more emollient and I sometimes use this on other areas of the face too if I’m feeling a lot of dryness. This feels very nourishing on the skin, without giving a greasy feel, and my skin drinks this up within a few minutes of application. The formula contains shea butter, rose wax and blackcurrant extracts apart from sunflower seed oil. It also contains glycerin, dimethicone and tocopherol acetate which provides enough natural Vitamin E for anti-oxidant benefits.

My under eye area has definitely started looking a little brighter and healthier with regular use. As with all skincare, you need to use it regularly to see lasting results. I don’t have wrinkles in the eye area yet but I do have some fine lines and I feel like the skin looks a little firmer after a few weeks of use. I would recommend this to ladies in their late 20s or 30s who are beginning to see some lines and wrinkles. This moisturizes deeply and definitely helps in smoothing and firming the under eye area. This is a bit pricey (around Rs 3500 I think) but it works! The packaging is a glass jar which has a luxurious, premium feel as well.

Clarins Extra-Firming Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream

Clarins Extra-Firming Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream

Clarins Extra-Firming Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream

Clarins Extra-Firming Eye Wrinkle Smoothing Cream

Do you have a favorite eye cream?

Share your comments below!

1. Vidishaa
    November 19, 2016 / 4:50 pm

I am using Colorbar under eye cream for day time and it’s working well for me. Though I don’t have major dark circle, so can’t comment on that part. In night time, I use Kama Ayurveda Almond oil and I swear by it. I am currently on my second bottle.

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:33 pm

That’s great! I haven’t tried the Colorbar eye cream yet or the Kama Ayurveda Almond oil. Thanks for the recommendation.

2. November 19, 2016 / 5:52 pm

would love to try both of them but so damn expensive 🙁

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:34 pm

I know 🙁 But quality skin care often is unfortunately.

3. Snehal Nandagawli
    November 20, 2016 / 6:57 pm

Any other budget friendly eye cream suggestions. I recently started using the Votre Under Eye Cream, Is it good?

• Ankita
      November 21, 2016 / 10:34 pm

Hi Snehal, the Votre one is okay for moisturizing but I didn’t get any additional benefits. You could give the Sebamed one a try.

4. November 20, 2016 / 11:56 pm

i am not much into under eye creams, have tried few, recently using himalaya one but not daily.
    These are good but are far too expensive

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:45 pm

Try using it daily, it makes a big difference 🙂

5. Kiran
    November 21, 2016 / 9:07 am

I have been looking for a good eye cream for my dark circles but nothing really worked.Can you any one that can help me get rid of them

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:41 pm

I’d suggest you try Clarins or Shisiedo, the variants meant specifically for dark circles.

6. Minu
    November 21, 2016 / 5:34 pm

Well i liked Biotique seaweed eyegel which is buget friendly as well as it works well on darkcircle

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:44 pm

That’s great! I remember using it a long time back.

7. November 21, 2016 / 6:54 pm

I am using TBS Vitamin E currently and it is doing great too!

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:37 pm

Its really nice for dry under eyes. Unfortunately, it stings my eyes a little bit 🙁

8. Preet
    November 21, 2016 / 7:11 pm

Why would I spend so much on an eye cream? Doesn’t make sense. 188 or 3500 for a tube/pot of an eye cream. Never. Instead, one can use virgin Coconut oil, the organic one, that can do wonders.

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:32 pm

Coconut oil moisturizes the skin no doubt. But firstly, it is VERY high on the scale on comedogenicity, you would rarely see coconut oil being used in face care products unless its fractionated coconut oil i.e capric/caprylic triglyceride. Secondly, these eye creams contains a host of other ingredients – glycerin has moisture retaining properties, tocopherol acetate/natural Vitamin E captures free radicals – hence anti-oxidant benefits, peptides help in firming the skin. The concentration of these ingredients in coconut oil is very low.

Thirdly, coconut oil is not a practical day time moisturizer. it would make the under eye area oily, it would make concealer crease, it would cause liner and kajal to smudge.

If virgin coconut oil works for you, its great. But I personally see the benefit of the cocktail of beneficial ingredients that eye creams contain that go beyond just moisturizing the skin.

9. November 21, 2016 / 10:05 pm

I am happy with forest essential & Oriflame’s eye creams.
    Still, I would love to try the Clarins firming eye cream.

• Ankita Srivastava
      November 21, 2016 / 10:36 pm

I have heard a lot about the Forest Essentials Anise eye cream. Good to know it worked well for you!

10. Razi
    November 22, 2016 / 10:13 am

Hi there, I am trying kheil’s eye treatment the with avacdo, I have dark circles.It looks it started working, but I am very happy with the luminosity it gives to me under eyes. What do you say would it help much with dark circles with continuous use?

11. November 22, 2016 / 11:38 am

I use the clinique one at night and the Eye lite eye cream during day… My under eye circles are very lighter now and I love the clinique version more…

12. Sk
    November 22, 2016 / 5:59 pm

Hi ankita, i have a very fair and dry skin and so dark circles around eyes are clearly visible. Which ia really annoying. Please suggest some good cream which lightens it

13. dipanwita
    November 22, 2016 / 8:04 pm

hi, i use eyelite eye cream.it helped a lot with my dark circles.and not that pricy also.

14. November 23, 2016 / 7:11 pm

Awesome post!!
    Girls, I was wondering if anyone would like to collaborate on youtube with me? Thanks xoxoxo 🙂

15. November 23, 2016 / 11:07 pm

Great compilation! I use allow vera gel mostly and it works well for me. x

16. November 24, 2016 / 12:20 am

This is really a very helpful and informative article about eye creams.
    I have been using Artistry eye replenishing cream for some time and it’s working well for me. But there is no doubt the creams you mentioned here are also awesome. My aunty is using Clinique Pep-start eye cream from last few days and results are great.
    After reading this detailed review about the cream, I would like to try this out. Thanks for sharing.

17. November 24, 2016 / 3:25 pm

The ingredients of both of these eye creams are really good! But they’re way too expensive. 🙁

18. November 29, 2016 / 9:36 pm

I am eyeing on the clinique one!

19. December 20, 2016 / 5:51 pm

I have been using the aroma magic under eye cream and it too works pretty good for dark circles.

20. Himani Pannu
    March 11, 2017 / 9:42 am

Where did you buy that clarins one from?

21. April 5, 2017 / 4:46 pm

thanks for sharing this post…i need this info