Everybody loves glowing, radiant skin and the key to achieving naturally beautiful skin is good lifestyle and skincare choices. I’ve shared some of my tips below along with some skincare that I’ve been using since the past few months to achieve even and healthy looking skin.
Diet & Exercise
Diet : Three words – Fluids, Fibre and Fats! My skin is at its best when I drink 2.5-3 liters of water daily and make sure to include a fair amount of fruit and salad servings in my daily intake. Water and fibre together help in flushing out toxins from the body which reflects on the skin. And lastly, healthy sources of fat like nuts, olive oil, sunflower oil and seeds and avocados provide essential fatty acids which are required by the skin to maintain a healthy skin barrier and glow.
Exercise : This one is a no-brainer and we all know that regular exercise is the key to a healthy body and that includes the skin as well! Exercise boosts circulation, leads to better delivery of nutrients around the body and I’m sure you’ve noticed the healthy flush your skin acquires after a good workout session! So start including a brisk walk or a quick jog in your daily routine to get naturally, glowing skin.
While diet takes care of the internal workings of the body and skin, skincare products help in taking care of the skin from the surface. The power of good skincare cannot be underestimated and I have seen first-hand the remarkable difference a good skincare routine can make! To maintain healthy, glowing skin, it’s important to include products that provide the right dose of moisture to the skin and work actively to reduce dark spots and dullness.
- Start with a cleanser that cleanses effectively and helps remove all traces of dirt and impurities from the skin. A mild exfoliation twice a week helps in getting rid of dead skin cells. It’s important to cleanse well because if your skin is clogged, any serum or moisturizer you apply would never reach the cells and your skin would appear dull and lifeless.
- Include a serum in your routine that boosts the skin at a cellular level. While texture, consistency and aesthetics are important, its important to look at the ingredient list to make a smart decision about skincare. In serums, look for ingredients like Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), which is a potent cell-communicating ingredient that not only helps get rid of skin discoloration but also helps repair the skin barrier function (so that it doesn’t lose moisture easily) and boosts skin elasticity. Its truly one of the most powerful and useful ingredients and it should be listed in the first few ingredients on the label. The ingredients are generally listed in the order of the proportion they are present in so if certain ingredients are present at the bottom of the list, you know they are only present in trace amounts and may not be sufficient to give any significant results.
- The Olay White Radiance Serum lists Niacinamide as the second ingredient which means there is ample quantity of this ingredient to work its magic on the skin. And that explains why this serum works so well in improving uneven skin tone. In addition, it also contains several forms of Vitamin C (derived from Ascorbic Acid) which is known to be very effective against dark spots and pigmentation. This combination of ingredients boosts the metabolic rate of the skin and penetrates deep within the layers to give a radiant, glow to the skin.
- Follow up the serum with a the right moisturizer for your skin. Look for ingredients like Glycerin, which is a humectant which means that it attracts moisture from the air around to your skin, helping it retain moisture – basic but very effective. Loss of moisture is the first step causing dullness so just by keeping your hydration levels balanced, you can help your skin achieve it’s natural glow. In the day time, opt for a moisturizer that offer UVA + UVB filters to protect the skin from further UV induced spots and damage. Since I really liked the White Radiance Serum, I gave the Brightening Lotion Moisturizer from the same range a try and it worked quite well. The fluid texture feels light and absorbs well, providing much needed moisture to my dehydration-prone skin in a non-greasy lotion form. And while I love the texture and consistency, I always like to check the ingredient list and I was happy to see Glycerin, Ethyhexyl Salicylate (gives UV protection, used in sunscreens) and Niacinamide topping the list.
- It’s a good idea to separate moisturizers for the day and night time as the needs of our skin are very different during the day and night. While lightweight fluid lotions with UV filters are the best pick for the day, we can indulge in more emollient creams at night time. The body does its recovery and regeneration at night time so it’s important to use a night treatment that is very nourishing and provides the skin with all that it needs to repair and regenerate.
- To get the maximum benefit from the White Radiance range, I’ve been using the Brightening Night Essence Moisturizer that works in synergy with the Serum to help the skin rejuvenate overnight. The cream has a luxurious, rich consistency which feels very nourishing but not too oily and in addition to Glycerin and Niacinamide, it also contains natural leaf and flower extracts that provide anti-oxidant benefits.
- So by following a simple routine of cleansing, moisturizing and protecting the skin, you can achieve a lovely, radiant glow. The most important thing though is consistency so make sure you follow the routine religiously twice a day for lasting results.
I hope you found this post helpful!
Share your routine for healthy, radiant skin below!