In today’s post, I’m going to show you a step by step pictorial of how to color your hair at home. The hair color of my choice is the L’Oreal Paris Casting Creme Gloss Conditioning Color which is a do-it-yourself, ammonia-free, semi-permanent color. I’ve had a few white strands since a few years and sadly they are all in the front hence very visible. I started using hair color every few months to mask the white strands and the L’Oreal Paris CCG has been a favorite!
I have used the shades Dark Chocolate, Chocolate and even Black in the past. Today I am using the shade #316 Plum.
Price : Rs 545 | Available online in India here
The L’Oreal Paris Casting Creme Gloss is hair coloring kit that is designed to be used at home. It is quite easy to use and the whole process takes about 40-60 minutes depending on the length of your hair. The sealed cardboard box contains the following –
1. Developer Creme (white bottle with nozzle)
2. Creme Colorant (pink tube)
3. Nutri Shine Conditioner (small white bottle)
5. Instruction leaflet
The instruction leaflet outlines all the steps in detail –
Step 1 : Add the the Creme Colorant to the Developer Creme bottle. Put on the cap and shake the bottle to mix the colorant with the developer creme till the two are mixed well.
Step 2 : After shaking the bottle, the color of the mixture darkens. At this point, you need to break the nozzle tip or just use a pair of scissors to cut the tip. The developed hair color is now ready to use! Just squeeze the bottle and the cream color will come out from the nozzle tip.
Step 3 : Apply the color to damp hair. Do not shampoo, just slightly wet the hair to allow the color to spread better.
Since I have had colored my hair few months ago, I followed the instructions on the leaflet for colored hair (colored less than 3 months ago). I applied the hair color on my roots first and let it sit for 20 minutes. If you have no greys/whites, you only need to keep it for 15 minutes. After that, apply the color along the lengths of your hair and let it sit for another 5 minutes.
If your hair has not been colored, you don’t have to keep it at the roots for 15-minutes and then along the lengths. Just apply the color all along the hair and let it sit for 20 minutes.
Tip : Always use the gloves while applying the color or your fingers/nails will stain a bit. Also apply some cream or vaseline on the skin near the hairline to prevent getting any color stains on the skin.
Step 4 : Wash off the color. When its time to wash off the color, first use some warm water to massage the color all along the hair to make sure the color is distributed evenly. Keep it for another 2-3 minutes and then start rinsing out the color with luke warm water. Shampoo as usual and then use the Conditioner provided with the hair color. Keep it for at least 5 minutes and then wash off with cold water.
Before and After ~
I barely noticed an immediate color difference after using the shade Plum. But the color generally shows better after 2-3 washes. My hair just looks quite dark and glossy after rinsing out the color. Since this is non-permanent hair color, you only see a bit of tint (more obvious in sunlight) but I get decent coverage for my problematic white strands. See the difference below –
After coloring my hair ~
What I Like about the L’Oreal Paris Casting Creme Gloss Hair Color :
1. Its ammonia-free and quite gentle on the hair – doesn’t dry out the hair.
2. All colors do damage the hair a little but semi-permanent color like this has very minimal damage because it doesn’t penetrate the hair deep, only gives surface color that lasts upto 28 washes.
3. Non drip creme formula is really easy to use – spreads easily through the hair and gives clean application.
4. Gives decent coverage for grey/white strands (claims 50% coverage)
5. Gives a glossy shine to the hair. The color tints your natural hair and hence looks very natural.
6. Affordable – the kit is priced at Rs 545 which is way lesser than what you would pay at a salon for global hair color!
7. Quick and convenient – The whole process can be finished in under an hour which makes it really convenient especially when you have a special occasion and you want to hide those pesky greys and add some nice glossy shine to your hair.
8. Available in 12 shades! Lots of variety to choose from.
What I don’t like about the L’Oreal Paris Casting Creme Gloss Hair Color :
1. The color leaves a mild scent in the hair which takes 2-3 washes to go away. Its not an unpleasant scent but its something my husband seems to notice the day I color my hair. Its a fruity but slightly chemical scent.
2. The color is mild – like a tint which could be a downside for those looking for stronger color. Also on very dark hair, certain shades may not show very well.
This post is written as part of the Say Yes to Color Campaign sponsored by L’Oreal Paris India. Visit Get The Look to know all about new hair trends and hairstyles.