Here’s a little picture tutorial on how to nail the black smokey eye! Hope you find it useful!
What you need for this look :
1. Concealer – You cannot do a black smokey eye without concealing your under eye otherwise it will make you look tired and dull instead of sultry!
2. Black Kohl – The key to a smokey eye! I have used Lakme Eyeconic Kohl in Black.
3. Black eye shadow – I used the NARS Pandora #2. You can use any matte black eye shadow.
4. Coffee Brown eye shadow – I used NARS Coconut Grove. You could use Bourjois Intense Extrait eye shadow #9 or any other dark brown matte eye shadow.
5. Medium brown eye shadow – I used NARS Bali which is a matte taupey brown shade. You could use any light/medium matte brown eye shadow.
6. Champagne eye shadow – Any light champagne or golden beige shade to highlight. I used NARS Bellissima #1. Another option is MAC Ricepaper.
7. Mascara and Brow fill – For the final touches! I used Shiseido Brow Styling compact (Medium Brown) and L’Oreal Paris False Lash Telescopic Mascara.
Step 1-2 : Conceal the darkness around your eyes using a concealer, set it with powder. You could also conceal in the end to avoid messing up the concealer because of fall out. I generally conceal in the end while doing a smokey eye but the NARS eye shadows I used have minimal fall out. I also recommend patting the eye shadows on the lids instead of brushing them or sweeping to prevent fall out and to get the maximum color onto the skin.
Step 3-4 : Line your eyes with black kohl and smudge it as shown using a pointed smudging brush.
Step 5 : Apply black eye shadow to 2/3rd of your lid space starting from the lash line. Apply the eye shadow in a semi-circular fashion following the shape of your eye.
Step 6 : Apply the matte coffee brown eye shadow to the remaining 1/3rd of the lid. Make sure to not take the shadow beyond the socket line.
Step 7 : Blend the eye shadows in the crease using the medium brown color to get a smooth transition. Getting the gradient and blending right gives the smokey eye its essential ‘smokiness’!
Step 8 : Highlight the inner corner and browbone using the champagne/beige eye shadow.
Step 9 : Brush and fill your brows.
Step 10 : Curl your lashes and finish off with 2 coats of mascara on top and bottom lashes!
Lips and Cheeks : While working with an intense black, the classic smokey eye – nude lip combo always works! Make sure your skin is well evened out and under eyes well concealed. For the cheeks, opt for an earthy or nude peach color that adds subtle color to the cheeks. For the lips, go for a warm nude lipstick that is slightly darker than your skin tone to avoid looking washed out!