Bridal Update : Hunt for the Perfect Foundation (Guerlain, Lancome, Shiseido) + MAC Haul

As you would know, I’m planning on doing my wedding makeup myself and my biggest worry right now is finding the right foundation. I have a couple of foundations that I like quite a lot – MAC Matchmaster, Clinique Super Balanced and Bourjois Happy Light which have worked well for me and photograph well too. But I’ve always worn these in Mumbai where my skin is generally fairly oily. My skin tends to quite dry in winters when I am in hometown Bhopal and I really don’t know if my oily skin routine would work or not with just a richer moisturizer underneath. I decided to check out some luxury brands for foundation. Here’s my experience so far ~

– Guerlain ~

I love the staff at Parcos, Infiniti Malad. They are really sweet, helpful and fairly generous with samples. On my previous visit, I’d got samples for Lingerie de Peau and Parure de Lumiere foundation. The shade I got for the former was light for me but I really liked Parure de Lumiere. It gave a very beautiful, glowing finish and felt moisturizing without being greasy. But it had tiny shimmer in the formula that didn’t show in person but can give a slightly oily look in flash pictures. Its not something everyone might notice, its not glaringly obvious but I can see it so that is out. But it did look very beautiful in person and in pics without flash!

Guerlain Parure de Lumiere foundation

Guerlain Parure de Lumiere foundation

Lancome ~

I had tried the new Teint Visionnaire foundation at the launch event and I thought it looked nice – gave medium coverage, very nice glowing finish. It made my skin a tad oily later but I’m thinking that would actually be a plus (with the dryness issues I’ll face when in Bhopal). I would like to try it again, get a sample and test it in flash pictures before I shell out 3500! But I do not like the Lancome counter nearest to my place (Inorbit Malad). The staff is not very helpful. They don’t give samples and only dab a tiny dot along the jawline when you want to try a foundation. Apparently applying foundation all over the face is against company policy (as is giving samples, according the SA).

NEW Lancome Teint Visionnaire Foundation

NEW Lancome Teint Visionnaire Foundation

Shiseido ~

I spent quite a bit of time at the Shiseido counter today. I really wanted to try the Perfect Refining foundation which I had tried a long time ago and liked. It has good reviews too. The SA was quite nice and helpful. I tried Perfect Refining on one half of the face (along with the Perfect Refining Primer underneath) and Radiant Lifting foundation (more hydrating, meant for dry/mature skin) on the other half. I like Perfect Refining better, its got a satin finish and better coverage than Radiant Lifting. It is wearing quite well on my skin too after nearly 8 hours post application. Shiseido has stopped giving samples as well for this but I do have one lying around from some time ago, I’ll dig that out and see how this looks in pictures.

Shiseido Perfect Refining Foundation

Shiseido Perfect Refining Foundation

The change of location + weather is bound to throw my skin off its regular state and I’m a little worried about that. But I guess with a good moisturizer and a hydrating base (like MAC Strobe cream or Clarins Instant Complexion perfector), a satin finish foundation should work decently well. Shade match + photographing well is the most important thing. So far, I’m not set on anything but leaning a bit towards Shiseido Perfect Refining. But then I feel that Shiseido Radiant Lifting might be better for dry winter skin 😐 Decisions!!

I’m yet to try Estee Lauder, Dior and YSL foundations. And if I still can’t make up my mind, I’ll go for Clinique Super balanced or MAC Matchmaster 😛

And lastly, a few things I picked up from MAC today ~

MAC Haul

MAC Haul

Strobe Cream (Rs 1950)

This is a moisturizing light cream that adds a nice glow and sheen to the skin. I love that it doesn’t have shimmer, just very very fine pearl that adds radiance. Have tried samples a few times but this is the first time I picked up the full sized bottle. Really looking forward to trying this!

Prep + Prime Lip Base (Rs 1050)

A lip primer that is hydrating and keeps your lipstick in place for a longer time. Because I’m planning on wearing a matte lipstick for the reception, I thought this would be a good pick. Tanveer of ATB raves about this and its been on my list forever!

False Lashes #7 (Rs 850)

They seem a little dramatic but because I already have long lashes, something very natural doesn’t really add much effect. The SA recommended these ones to me.

MAC Haul

MAC Haul

[note color=”#FFEECA”]I hope these kind of rambly update posts might be helpful to some of you. I’ll talk about eye makeup/lipsticks/blush/highlighters too as I finalize on what I’m going to use on the D-Day. Do you have any suggestions for a foundation that is hydrating, gives decent coverage and photographs well? Do let me know in the comments below! [/note]

1. esha
    November 19, 2013 / 1:36 am

Very informative post Ankita!! Must be so confusing to make a choice. I’m not an expert but you could have a look at Kryolan base for the wedding. Most bridal makeup artists use either MAC or Kryolan. Anyways, Congrats for your wedding.You’d make a beautiful bride 🙂

2. November 19, 2013 / 1:43 am

Try the YSL Touche Eclat foundation….It looks very good whether in pics or in actual. A moisturizer underneath shud give you good coverage for the dryness….best is tht the same shade is available in 2 tones – one a yellow tone and one a pink tone. So you can check which is suiting your skin the best. The texture is amazing and the coverage is good. Try it out at the counter. The dude at the Shoppers Stop Juhu counter was very sweet and applied both the foundation as well as the highlighter on me. Not very generous with the samples but heck he didnt have many to begin with.

November 19, 2013 / 1:46 am

Thanks Shikha! I always thought YSL Touche Eclat is a tad too sheer, I did try it out once but trying at the counter doesn’t always give a very good idea. I need to try it out on my own, will see if I can get a sample. Have you tried Dior or EL?

• November 19, 2013 / 2:39 am

I have tried the Dior Nude skin one….got a sample of it long back…sorry dont remember much about it. Have not tried EL. You know the YSL one is a little tricky to get used to but when u use it a few times you will love it! When I got it I actually thought I made a huge mistake. I find the texture is light enough to be worn in the day and fuss free enough to be worn at night. Try it out for sure.

3. November 19, 2013 / 2:48 am

Very very helpful! keep doing these posts… You are making my life easy Ankita 😉 Estee lauder is pretty good. It stays on forever and photographs well. The shade selection is huge. Only downside is that it is a bit hard to take off but thats a good thing considering bridal makeup! Good luck 🙂 keep posting!

4. November 19, 2013 / 2:52 am

oh! and EL doesn’t forgive dry patches… Skin needs to be really hydrated!

November 19, 2013 / 4:00 pm

I’m a little skeptical of a very mattifying foundation. And I’m guessing my skin will be probably be on the drier side once I move to Tokyo so don’t want to invest in a very matte foundation. But I have a sample of EL double wear, will see how it works for me!

5. November 19, 2013 / 4:12 am

I think u shoul try Estée Lauder double wear foundation.. It’s superb n gives good coverage .. It’s neither matte nor very shiny.. Good for ur weather conditions..

November 19, 2013 / 4:00 pm

Thanks Amani 🙂

6. shobha
    November 19, 2013 / 7:19 am

Hey why don’t you try Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Supercharged Foundation.

Its available in the States. Not too sure about India.

November 19, 2013 / 3:58 pm

No Marc Jacobs in India 😐 But have heard read rave reviews of that one.

7. November 18, 2013 / 7:01 pm

Lancôme does not have such policy. They do try foundation on the face. The SA is lying. I have been to Phoenix market city and phoenix mills stores. Both have generously tried out foundation on my face

November 19, 2013 / 4:09 pm

Thanks Bulbul. The Malad store staff (or least one particular woman) was very unhelpful! Do you like any of the Lancome foundations?

8. November 19, 2013 / 9:02 am

You can try Estee Lauder Double Wear..its a full coverage foundation and have heard i photographs really well too!

9. Deeksha
    November 19, 2013 / 9:07 am

Hey Ankita. Try using the makeup forever mat velvet +….Its fantastic and stays put…

November 19, 2013 / 3:58 pm

No MUFE in Mumbai 🙁

10. November 19, 2013 / 9:07 am

Very informative post Ankita.. looking forward for the lip base review.. for foundation..U can try the MUFE HD Foundation and EL.. though I havent tried any of them but both of them have quite florring reviews.. 🙂

11. November 18, 2013 / 10:48 pm

Hi ankita…I think u should try the lancome teint miracle…it stays for a very long time and give flawless finish….try it out if u get a chance….nd good luck…I hope u get the best products for ur wedding 🙂

November 19, 2013 / 3:57 pm

Thanks! I’ll check it out 🙂

12. Zahira Shaih
    November 19, 2013 / 11:33 am

Try Dior Skin Foundation, its very good

13. November 19, 2013 / 11:58 am

Very informative post, bookmarking all your wedding series post, you never know when this will come into use 😉

14. November 19, 2013 / 12:05 pm

Estee Lauder is pretty good. Among the drug store brands, Revlon Photoready photographs the best. The coverage is sheer to medium and stays put for 6-8 hours. I am getting married too and doing my won wedding makeup. Have picked up EL and Revlon Photoready

November 19, 2013 / 3:55 pm

Congratulations on your wedding 🙂

My issue with Photoready is the same as Guerlain Parure de Lumiere – the formula has fine shimmer which make my pores/imperfections look a little more prominent at certain angles with flash – also gives a slight whitish cast. Without flash though, they give a very pretty luminosity to the skin!

Will check out EL for sure.

15. November 19, 2013 / 12:44 pm

Why dont you try Chanel? I tried the Vitalumiere Aqua Hydrating Cream foundation a couple of weeks ago and it stayed really well for 6-7 hours. It has medium coverage which can be built up to full and has a satin finish. Try it out if you can. I think the only Chanel store is in Palladium.
    This post makes me realise how relatively ignorant i was a decade ago when i got married!!! :p

November 19, 2013 / 3:48 pm

I completely forgot to add my Chanel experience in this post! I had tried few weeks back, the SA insisted I try Perfection Lumiere and Mat lumiere. She said Vitalumiere range wouldn’t work for me, I had initially wanted to try Vitalumiere Aqua since so many people rave about it!

Another visit to Chanel is due. I wish they had a store this side of the city!

16. November 19, 2013 / 1:04 pm

Hi Ankita! I went through the same dilemma when I was getting married. I couldn’t trust any makeup artist to do the job but I dint know which foundation would work for the occasion. I finally got ‘airbrush foundation’ done by the makeup artist/hairstylist and I did the rest of the face by myself. It felt very light on my skin, stayed put thoughtout and my skin did not get oily.

November 19, 2013 / 3:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback! I don’t know if they do airbrush where I’m getting married but I think I should be okay with foundation. I have my Clinique Superbalanced as backup!

17. Himani
    November 19, 2013 / 1:26 pm

Hi Ankita,

Congrats for your wedding. Regarding foundation i suggest you try out Givenchi. though i dnt knw where you will be able to find it here. but their foundations are just awsum. Secondly i would suggest you to try make up for ever HD foundations heard they are also good

November 19, 2013 / 3:53 pm

I think Shoppers Stop Juhu has a Givenchy counter. Will find out. Thanks for your help! Hearing so much about MUFE but sadly we dont have that in Mumbai anymore!

18. Jigisha
    November 19, 2013 / 2:48 pm

Ysl touche eclat too sheer for ur d day..try chanel perfection lumiere its just too good. Guerlain parure gold also good.

November 19, 2013 / 3:40 pm

Guerlain Parure Gold is discontinued 🙁

• Jigisha
        November 19, 2013 / 3:48 pm

Chk at parcos they may have a few pieces n if its discontinued u may get it at a good discount.. Try chanel though its awsome n also tom ford traceless foundation stick

November 19, 2013 / 4:02 pm

Will check out if they have any pieces left. A trip to Chanel is due, had tried Perfection Lumiere and Mat Lumiere earlier though couldn’t make up my mind! Do we have Tom Ford in India?

• Jigisha
            November 19, 2013 / 4:45 pm

Ull get tom ford frm beautiful andheri. Also try kevin aucoin sse available at strwberrynet. Ur shade mite b sx10

• Jigisha
            November 19, 2013 / 4:47 pm

I thnk a mix of chanel n kryolsn should b good coz kryolan the only foundation wthout spf wch is good for fotografy. Mac face body also thr but its too sheer. El stay in place will make u look like a ghost coz it just doesnt fotograf well.

• KK
          November 23, 2013 / 11:29 am

Jigisha, do you also run your own blog?

19. November 19, 2013 / 3:26 pm

hey congratulations Ankita! when is the d-day?

November 19, 2013 / 4:10 pm

Thanks! Its next month 🙂

• November 21, 2013 / 4:20 pm

Ooh… all the best… enjoy your wedding girl… i am sure you will make a stunning bride 🙂

20. November 19, 2013 / 3:39 pm

Do you get makeupforever here? I’ve been using Makeupforever’s HD foundation and Dior’s luminous silk on my brides since some time now and they look gorgeous in pictures with or without flash. MAC is always the no fail but I always mix up foundations depending on the needs. I also have this Bodyshop’s mineral one that has a lot of yellow and dewy finish and I mix that if the color needs toning to a yellower undertone.

And Guerlain’s Velvet touch is an amazing product too.

November 19, 2013 / 3:51 pm

Thanks Ayesha! Unfortunately there is no MUFE in Mumbai right now. Will check out Dior Luminous Silk soon. I have tried The Body Shop Extra Virgin Minerals compact and really liked it, will check out the liquid foundation too.

I only saw Parure de Lumiere and Lingerie de Peau at the Guerlain counter. Will find out about Velvet Touch.

• November 20, 2013 / 5:48 pm

Ooops sorry correction. I had Dior’s mascara in mind which I got recently and mistyped. It is Giorgio Armani’s Luminous silk and the velvet finish of Guerlain is known as Divinora, it actually gives a velvet touch finish. I bought it first time for my wedding so my skin would feel like velvet *winks* and fell in love with it.

The HD foundations are the latest rave in the HD photography era with or without flash the skin in photos look phenomenal.

21. November 19, 2013 / 3:40 pm

Nice Info….BTW you choose the best of products….

22. Madhura
    November 19, 2013 / 4:17 pm

Hi Ankita,

Do try the Lancôme teint miracle! Its an amazing foundation for normal to dry skin..

23. November 19, 2013 / 4:09 am

Why don't you try out the Luminous Silk foundation by Armani? I think it would perfectly fit your bill. It photographs beautifully as well since it doesn't contain any SPF and they also have an extensive shade range.

24. November 19, 2013 / 5:15 pm

EL Double wear and MAC Pro long wear are meant to work on all skin types and I have heard they photograph well too. Pretty full coverage as well.

25. November 19, 2013 / 8:08 pm

mac studio fic
    great coverage ,stays for really long time and OH god it photographs really well

26. Ash
    November 19, 2013 / 9:47 pm

Have you tried Giorgio Armani luminous skin foundation?

27. November 19, 2013 / 10:36 pm

go with chanel or MAC pro long wear and skip tinted lancome foundation

28. rinnee
    November 19, 2013 / 11:21 pm

i personally am a big fan of mac foundations. i have used mac studio fix on my sister (with oily skin and large pores) on her D-day and it stayed put throughout the ceremony, looking natural but at the same time giving a flawless coverage. i think mac is the best when it comes to giving coverage..

29. rinnee
    November 19, 2013 / 11:25 pm

also i love the mac strobe cream..planning on getting it soon. but did u try the golden one? will it be good for indian skintone?

30. Noddy
    November 20, 2013 / 8:10 am

Estee Lauder double wear foundation is an amazing product for those who want a matt finish. It lasts all day and photographs beautifully. My only problem with this foundation is that it doesnt work for me especially during the winter time ( i have combination skin) and i prefer a satin to dewy foundation during the winter season . But i do suggest you try it for yourself and see how it looks. Also, i would recommend Estee Lauder Futurist Foundation. It gives an amazing satin finish and if used with a primer it lasts all day as well as photographs beautifully.:) Good luck:) and best of wishes!

31. Neha
    November 20, 2013 / 12:10 pm

Hi Ankita,
    Please do review the Strobe Cream seperately.
    I have had many weak moments when I almost bought it but the cost (INR 1950 !!) always held me back.
    So if you can review it and if it is worth the price, I can ask someone to pick it up for me then.
    And I was going through one of your posts where you wanted to try Fix +..well I have it and would not recommend it for you as you have very oily skin..
    It works only for people like me who have very dry skin..

32. November 21, 2013 / 3:43 am

Parure de lumiere is my HG foundation! Love it…. Teint Idole ultra is also a good foundation. 🙂

August 29, 2014 / 8:01 am

Strobe cream is a on my list too…

34. apeksha
    January 29, 2015 / 10:10 am

Very useful post for brides to be.

35. apeksha