My September Vellvette Box (Anniversary Edition)

Vellvette Box celebrates its 1 Year anniversary this month and this is the box I received. On popular demand, they’ve changed the box to a bag and I do like that – bags are so much more useful! But I prefer the plain black or pink bags that have been sent out previously. The red and white polka dot one isn’t really my cup of tea.

My September Vellvette Box (Anniversary Edition)

Overall, value wise the box is not bad (for Rs 499) but I don’t really love any of the products here. The beautyuk palette is not something I would personally ever pick – the colors are rather sheer and some are just chalky. The Organic Surge conditioner is meant for normal hair which wouldn’t suffice for my very dry tresses. There is no customization here, everyone was sent the same conditioner. The Lord and Berry lip gloss is clear – I never use clear lip glosses and just last month I received the Sally Hansen Lip Inflation gloss – once again the ‘clear’ variant. I guess to me, the comb/mirror compact might be the most useful thing from this bag. I’d also like to add here I received my September box today – 2nd of October, after I reached out to the Vellvette team yesterday that I had not received my box yet.

I’d subscribed (and re-subbed over the following months) to Vellvette because I wanted to try more samples/travel sized products from Luxury and premium brands. I liked the products from brands like Sisley, Shiseido, Clinique, Clarins, Dior, The Nature’s Co. that I was sent in some of the boxes. But in the recent few months, the pattern has shifted to full sized products of cheaper brands. And I’ve been finding that I’m less and less excited for my Vellvette box every passing month. I’m already regretting signing up from the 3 month subscription which thankfully runs out next month. I don’t think I’d be subscribing again if this trend continues.

I do congratulate them for completing one year when other boxes failed to launch or couldn’t keep up for more than 2-3 months. But I don’t see the current trend of the boxes being relevant to my preference!

[note color=”#FFEECA”]What are your thoughts on the Vellvette box? What products do you prefer receiving in your box – select premium samples or more affordable full sized products? Let me know in the comments below! [/note]

1. October 2, 2013 / 3:47 pm

True Ankita ! Even I am also getting less excited of the boxes these days..they are sending simply some products, neither premium nor customized. My subscription is getting over by this month and I don’t think I might be renewing it . Yet, I loved trying out products otherwise we might not pick up..but we cant continue using those we don’t actually prefer.

2. October 2, 2013 / 3:51 pm

I got the eyeshadow, the mirror brush same as yours!! <3
    Why do they have to send clear gloss anyway? 🙁

3. Seema
    October 2, 2013 / 4:03 pm

I am totally disapoointed with the velvette team. They have sent me Just Herbs Pimple treatment Sample the other month. Now i wonder they did it again :O…JH sample kit is worthless..totally disappointmed with anniversary thng..

4. October 2, 2013 / 4:07 pm

I like that you were so honest about it while so many people are gushing over it that I’m left wondering….I have been with them since the beginning and from getting brands like Ofra, Clinique, Lush etc we have now come down to this….What is even more surprising is that the people who would say crap about the stuff when we were getting good brands are all praises for the Sept bag. I really don’t understand what they are liking about it so much. The pigmentation of the palette is worse than crappy. And the brands over all leave much to be desired. I was so excited to see what they would do this month esp since they have been raving about how their anniversary one would be THE best yet…..and this is what we got. Unfortunately I’m stuck till April and have to look for International boxes to get some quality stuff.

5. Cheril
    October 2, 2013 / 4:18 pm

Hi Ankita,
    I dont stay in India, but I like going through your blog. I recently subscribed to this box called Zanedo, and they send out 4-5 prods every month in which 2 are full sized. There’s another one called Glam Box which does the same thing. From seeing teh contents of Velvette, I think they should take cue from some of these other brands and send quality stuff, else they would surely loose their customers!

6. October 2, 2013 / 4:21 pm

I didn’t re-subscribe to the vellvette box after the first few months since the brands that they are now giving are no more luxury brands.. I’m glad I saved some money… Another reason being that the luxury samples they gave in the initial months were way too small to be tested and reviewed on the blog, like 5mL of Dior face wash? Like, who would be able to form a review?
    Sad they are going this cheaper route… I guess they also gave out NYX in one of the boxes! They could have done so much better!

7. October 2, 2013 / 4:28 pm

This edition does seem disappointing. I have one clear gloss and it’ll last me forever, don’t understand why they’d send clear glosses again

8. October 2, 2013 / 5:01 pm

Thank you Ankita for such an honest review. I agree with you completely on whatever you have written. Probably this will wake them up a bit!

I just one thing to say, I still havent received my bag despite writing to them and they did the same last month. Also, the excitement for the bag, (atleast for me) has dropped immensely. there are no luxurious products and too many repeats going on. My three month subscription had ended last month and I had no mind to renew. Took the one month box for september since it was their anniversary box, but im repenting it now.

Best,
    Priyanka

9. October 2, 2013 / 5:11 pm

infact this was the sole reason wht I had stopped subscribing their box..most of the products are not from hi-end brands..which was the sole reason for subscription..they should soon change the policy else they will be losing it all I guess..

10. shweta
    October 2, 2013 / 5:17 pm

even i m also disappointed. i still havent received my box yet fr d september mnth. nd me also not goin to subscribe it agaiun until it goes bttr..

11. October 2, 2013 / 5:52 pm

Thats so true ankita.. these are subscribed to test expensive brands through samples but sending full sized products ofd cheap brands is really not expected..huuuhh!!

12. October 2, 2013 / 7:15 pm

Me too really disappointed with the anniversary bag, the scrub had completely leaked in my bag n it was in the worstest condition plus the palette is so poorly pigmented n I received ‘I love lime n lemon’ Againnnn :(((((((((( I think they don’t keep a track of what they have sent to their subscribers…thankfully my subscription ended n I don’t intend to renew it. I would now prefer to try out the international ones.

13. October 2, 2013 / 7:24 pm

Thank you for your honesty, Ankita. I loved the bags in February, March and May, but hated them ever since – they sent a palettte made in 2004 and that was enough for me, and I unsubscribed in July. I know we can’t expect Tom Ford or Chanel in the boxes; that is fine. But whatever is sent can be 1. recently-made and 2. suited to what I specified in the questionnaire. These are now very hastily put-together. After some rather complicated calculations using dodgy mathematics skills, I now subscribed to a couple of international beauty boxes which deliver to India. Costs more, but I get better products.

• October 4, 2013 / 9:51 pm

Which are these international boxes you order?

14. Ankieta
    October 2, 2013 / 8:04 pm

Same here….Hope they read it and improve..wud subscribe only then

15. October 2, 2013 / 8:34 pm

I second that too, Not at all appealing!

16. Bhavna
    October 2, 2013 / 9:49 pm

Ankita, I am really disappointed with the sep bag! I got the eye shadow palette but it was shattered!! I wrote to them the day I received it and they have not done anything about it!!
    I also got the brush and mirror, a Sally Hansen nail hardener and a sample of body wash… I am so regretting subscribing for this months bag/box.
    Within a year itself they have deteriorated their products immensely. Hope they take heed and improve.

17. October 2, 2013 / 10:56 pm

good to read atleast one genuine review for this month’s box/bag..even I am not liking the products..beauty Uk is not a luxury brand..

18. October 3, 2013 / 2:09 am

Hey ankita.. At least I think ua products r better dan wat I got.. I got a clear top coat from Sally Hansen .. N dat comb mirror n spearmint body was a better thing but juz 1 tym use quantity n those eye shades which has worst pigments.. I hardly find any color after switching em..

19. October 3, 2013 / 4:10 am

ohh! sad 🙁 I am not in India and always wondered I’ll subscribe when I go to India on a 3 month trip.. sadly.. don’t see that happening now! and worse..I made my sister sign up this month and she’s cursing me.. haha! I hoped so much better from an anniversary edition!

20. October 3, 2013 / 11:26 am

Hi Ankita,
    I am not happy with my second velvette box as in first box i got Sally Hansen miracle cure and the same was repeated in the second box. Also when I reached out to the Team regarding this, its been one week and there is no response over this.
    I might not subscribe for any month.

21. esha
    October 3, 2013 / 6:14 pm

Totally agree with u Ankita. I heard about a new beauty box launched in August. Its called “My EnvyBox”. They provide the samples from the premium brands u mentioned. Do have a look into it.

22. October 4, 2013 / 9:55 am

I’m not happy either. I got Just Herbs 2 times and I’m glad my subscription is over!

23. Ritika
    October 4, 2013 / 2:49 pm

I still haven’t received my september box. this is gonna be my first bag. By now all the excitement has been killed. Thanks for the review. I guess i will not resubscribe after my first experience being so bad. 🙁

24. Nidhi
    October 5, 2013 / 11:37 am

I’d prefer Premium samples. It is actually for what we’re ready to subscribe.
    This being my first Vellvette bag (got to know about it reading your blog 😉 ) subscribed for 3 moths. I am also not happy with my bag except the nude eye palette I got. The Salley Hansen nail strengthener I got has a rusted cap. looks old or used. I hope I don’t regret my subscription.

• Nidhi
      October 5, 2013 / 12:13 pm

Also, Ankita I want you to review the eye pallette.
      Thanks.

25. Deb
    October 5, 2013 / 4:21 pm

I have been with Vellvette from march now and was never over the moon with their products. I think they stopped sending high end brands after the initial phase, and as their popularity is increasing, their quality is decreasing. Out of every bag, you end up with just one product that seems worthwhile. I also got the SOHO palette this time though I desperately wanted any of the other shades, I posted on their wall requesting someone to exchange with me, but vellvette didn’t even publish my post, they do not publish any negative post.. Their customer care truly sucks. They send the same products in different cycles to different people. I will not be re-subscribing for sure. I ordered the lip factory for October.. looking forward to that

26. October 20, 2013 / 4:46 pm

hey i wanted to subscribe for the vellvette box frm this month but now i am in a big dilemma. And i live in Darjeeling and am worried about the delivery issues

September 16, 2014 / 2:23 pm