Last month I got a chance to attend a lovely event – an evening with the Bobbi Brown team. I knew Bobbi Brown was launching in Delhi and I was so excited and happy that the team did a press meet day for us Mumbai people as well! The meet up was held at Hotel Trident in a lovely suite overlooking the sea. Present at the occasion, to take us through the Bobbi Brown brand philosophy and a makeup lesson was Eliano Bou Assi, Manager of Artistry and Education at Bobbi Brown cosmetics who has been personally trained by Bobbi herself and has been with the brand since 2004.
I’ve attended quite a few events where makeup ‘lessons’ or makeovers have been done. And honestly, the session with Eliano from Bobbi Brown is the only one that stands out. Its the only lesson where I really felt like I actually learnt something. The tips I’m going to share with you are simple and make a lot of sense as you think about it. What is so different and appealing about Bobbi Brown’s Philosophy is that she believes that every woman is pretty, and with the right makeup, she can look and feel Pretty Powerful. She says its not about how you look, its about you feel. She aims to educate women about the right techniques so that they can feel Pretty Powerful every day. Bobbi’s style is very clean, fresh and modern. What started as just a collection of 10 brown lipsticks in 1991 is now a global brand with a presence in 60 countries! And through this journey, Bobbi’s message remains the same – “The secret to beauty is simple – be who you are!“.
Eliano created the classic Bobbi Brown on a model explaining each step in detail. I’ve picked out the best tips from this session –
- Always moisturize your face before applying makeup. Your moisturizer should be the one best suited for your skin type and should give an instantly fresh, hydrated look to the face. If it doesn’t do that, its not doing its job and you need to change your product.
- Corrector + Concealer is the “secret to the universe” as Bobbi puts if herself! Always always always use an eye cream in the under eye area (but not on the lid as it will cause creasing of the eye shadow) and then apply corrector generously. Corrector can be pink tinted or peach tinted depending on your skin tone.
- Pink tint neutralizes purple shadows and Peach tint neutralizes green shadows. Apply the corrector first using a brush, taking care to take it all the way till the inner corner which has the maximum shadowy areas. Then smoothen it out using your finger in gentle patting motions.
- After using corrector, use a concealer which according to Bobbi should be a tone lighter than your skin tone. This will brighten up the eye and give instant freshness to the face. Always set this with a powder to prevent creasing. There is no need to apply foundation in your under eye area. Corrector+concealer gives all the coverage and brightness your under eye area needs!
- Your foundation should be the shade that completely blends and disappears into the color of your skin. If you tones match, Bobbi recommends going to the warmer color. She believes that all skin types have some measure of yellow tones naturally and hence all of your foundations have yellow undertones.
- While applying bronzer, see the undertones in the neck and chest to choose the right shade. Yellow toned skin needs a lighter bronzer than skin with red tones. Bronzer is applied on the high points of the face where the sun would hit naturally if you were out sunbathing – top of the cheeks, along the temple and forehead, across the nose and along the jaw. (Contouring is not the same as bronzing, read more HERE).
- For a fresh healthy look, always go for pink blush. The natural blush color (as you’d see post workout) is always pink and a pink blush always brightens and freshens up the face!
- Do your face and lips before doing the eyes. Most women have 5-10 minutes in the morning before they’ve to rush out of the house. When you do your lips and cheeks first, you’d realize that you may hardly need anything on the eyes – maybe just mascara or liner is enough. Doing the eyes first results in a lot of time wastage. Its the skin and the lips that make the most difference to your look.
- While doing your eyes, do your brows first. Brows frame the face and clean, defined brows make a huge difference to the overall look. Using a clean brush, brush them down, then fill up the gaps with powder/pencil and then brush them up again. The brushing will ensure that the hair won’t stick out in different directions and the end brushing will remove excess brow powder/pencil also.
- The eye liner on the top should always be darker than at the bottom – this gives a lift to the eyes.
- Apply lip liner after lipstick. This way you won’t be left with a dark outline around your lips once you’ve had a cup of coffee! The lipstick and liner will fade evenly when liner is applied after.
- If you have deep set eyes/eye bags/dark circles, avoid using dark color under the eyes i.e on the lower waterline/lashlines. Keep the color to the top and darker shades only on the outer corner if at all.
- Use a black mascara! Black makes the eyes stand out.
- For a natural look – use lip and cheek color from the same color family!
Bobbi Brown’s range of products includes skincare, makeup and tools. There are a lot of great products in the lineup – I loved the multitasking products – primer+moisturizer and the concealer kit (which contains powder in the same duo palette, so handy for touch ups!). There is a huge color range of blushes, eye shadows and lipsticks of course! The foundations come in every possible texture/coverage you can think of! There are lots of palettes that you can also customize – so that you can do your makeup/touch ups on the go and don’t have pack a huge bag of products in your purse!
Sneak Peek of the Rich Chocolate collection (Autumn/Winter 2013!) ~
Do Watch this Makeup Tutorial by Bobbi Brown to get a better idea about the tips I mentioned in this post –
Couldn’t resist posting this picture of Marine Drive taken from the Suite where this meet up was held! Its all cleared out here but when I’d reached, it was raining heavily and you couldn’t anything beyond the torrents of rain!
[note color=”#FFEACA”]This was such a wonderful experience! A big thank you to the Bobbi Brown team for arranging this!
I also got my makeup done by Eliano as a lesson demonstration but I don’t have any good pictures to post. But I will be doing a Tutorial soon putting all the tips to practice that I learnt that day! I hope you found some useful tips in this post! I’m down with fever and sore throat and was sleeping all day but just writing this post has made me feel so much better. Bobbi Brown is such a unique brand with such a unique woman spearheading it, I wish they open a store in Mumbai soon!
Meanwhile, you lucky lucky Delhi girls can check out the store at Select City Walk, Saket. Do have a look at the some of the best selling products – the long wear Gel liner in Black Ink, Shimmer Brick highlighters, concealers/correctors.[/note]