Today I’m doing Monochrome Plum look which is perfect for an evening party. Monochrome has been in vogue for a while now and earthy monochrome makeup looks have been spotted over and over on the runway. In my adaptation of the look, the eyes are a soft smokey plum and on the lips, I’ve worn a sheer blackcurrant lip color. To balance the whole look, I’ve used a warm pink blush on the cheeks. There is a step-wise guide in this post on how you can achieve this look.
This is not the most wearable of looks but it makes a fashion statement!
Products used for the eyes :
- MAC Fluidline : Dark Diversion
- MAC eye shadow : Twinks
- MAC eye shadow : Sable
- MAC eye shadow : Ricepaper
- L’oreal Paris black gel liner
- Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Mascara
How to achieve this look ~
- Start by applying a wash of plum gel liner (MAC Dark Diversion) all over the lid.
- Using a fluffy brush like MAC 217, soften the edges of the liner in the crease using MAC Twinks eye shadow.
- Next, using the same brush and MAC Sable eye shadow, sweep the color a little above the crease to create a gradient between MAC Twinks and MAC Sable eye shadows. This way, the lid is darkest with the color softening as we move to the browbone.
- With a liner brush or using the flat edge of a shader brush, apply a small amount of Dark Diversion fluidline along the outer half of the lower lash line. Make sure to keep the intensity of the color very soft.
- Highlight the inner corner and browbone using a subtle highlighter like MAC Ricepaper.
- Line upper lash line softly with black gel liner keeping the intensity very soft.
- Finish the look by applying a coat of volumizing mascara and filling the brows.
The finished look ~
Products used for the Face ~
- Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation : No. 52
- Clinique Blended face powder : No. 3
- NYX HD Grinding blush : Sangria in Madrid
How to do the face makeup ~
- I wanted the look to be slightly dewy but not overly so. I started by applying a generous amount of moisturizer on a cleansed face. I then proceeded to go the eye makeup to give sufficient time for the moisturizer to sink into the skin.
- Once the eyes were done, I applied Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation all over the face and neck using Coastal Scents stippling foundation brush.
- I then used Clinique blended face powder on the T-zone and jawline leaving out the cheeks to retain the slight dewiness of the foundation.
- Lastly, I used NYX blush in shade Sangria in Madrid over the apples of the cheeks, blending it upwards. I’d recommend using a vivid pink blush like this, a very natural blush might wash you out since the eyes and lips are borderline gothic.
Products used for the lips ~
- MAC Lipstick – Black Current
[note color=”#FFE4C4″]Since both the eyes and the lips have a strong color, the key here to keep both understated so that the look doesn’t become overwhelming. This is the reason I have kept the waterline bare and not made the eyes very smokey. For the lips too, I have used a sheer lipstick instead of a very pigmented one. Its also important to use a vivid blush when the eyes/lips are dark unless you intentionally want a gothic look. I used a bright pink to give a soft feminine touch to the look (used with heavy hand for the pictures).
Hope you liked the look and the how-to guide. Don’t forget to leave your comments below! [/note]
Also read :