Some time back I showed you a preview of this multi-tasking hair potion from Kerastase. Today I’m giving a full review of this amazing hair product!
Price : Rs 2200 for 125 ml
Availability : It is available in Kerastase Salons all over the country. To locate your nearest salon, check THIS link.
What Kerastase says about the product :
Elixir Ultime delivers a powerful cocktail of emollient and anti-oxidant active ingredients for ultimate shine and suppleness while promoting cellular renewal. The elixir brings shine, nourishment and deep conditioning to the hair while smoothing the hair fiber, resulting in incredible shine. The multi-use elixir also helps restore strength to the hair and protects it from external aggressors.
Multi-Use Beautifying Product:
- This product can be used before cleansing to remove impurities and deeply nourish.
- Elixir can be administered to damp hair for intense conditioning.
- Utilize before blow-drying for additional protection and shine.
- Add product as a finishing touch for enhanced shine and frizz-control.
- Apply multi-use elixir to dry ends throughout the day for ultimate smoothness.
Featuring Oléo-Complexe Technology a powerful cocktail of emollient and anti-oxidant active ingredients from Maize, Pracaxi, Camellia and Argan oils.
Maize Oil extracted from corn germs of Central America, Maize Oil delivers emollient and anti-oxidant active ingredients for ultimate shine.
Pracaxi Oil native to the Amazon, Pracaxi Oil brings shine, nourishment and deep conditioning to the hair.
Camellia Oil harvested in Asia, Camellia Oil helps smooth the hair fiber, resulting in incredible shine.
Argan Oil from North Africa, Argan Oil helps restore strength to the hair and protects it from external aggressors.
My take on the product
To put it in 1 sentence – Kerastase Elixir Ultime is the best product I have ever used for my hair!
It comes in a golden plastic bottle with an interesting design on the back label of the bottle. The honeycomb pattern on the inside of the back label reflects light giving an beautiful illusion of a differently shaped bottle. It comes with a pump dispenser which makes it convenient to use and also regulates the quantity of product being applied. While I love the practical plastic packaging, since its a luxury hair product, I would have liked a slightly heavier feel to the bottle. However, thats just my opinion of the packaging and has no bearing on the performance of the product!
The consistency is like that of a runny gel. Its transparent and neither too thin like an oil nor so thick that it won’t flow under gravity. It spreads very easily on the hair and absorbs quickly too with a few light strokes. It doesn’t weigh the hair down, doesn’t give that heavy oily feeling and adds a nice fragrance that lingers on for a day. The scents are unfamiliar to my nose but they remind of ittar (perfume). I like the scent but I don’t particularly love it! It lingers on to the hair for a few hours when you sniff closely but its mild enough so should not bother anyone.
Different uses and what it does :
It can be used in 5 ways and this is one of the many advantages of this product. It can be your pre-wash hair oil, your leave-in conditioner, your hair styling serum as well frizz-control potion. Here’s my take on the 5 different uses :
1. Pre-wash hair oil : I used 2 full pumps along my hair length before washing my hair. It washes off easily enough in a single application of shampoo. It doesn’t make my hair tame enough to skip conditioner though if I use this AND conditioner(same product as leave in conditioner), I do get slightly smoother hair but somehow not always. So use no.1 doesn’t top my list!
2. Leave in conditioner : This worked the best for me! After shampooing, I squeeze out all the water from the hair and then apply 2 pumps of this long the length of my wet hair, concentrating on the ends. My hair so much softer, smoother than usual and more importantly, the waves look much more defined. Previously, I used to have hair that looked like a big fluffy mass no matter my haircut but since I’ve been using this product, the layers have definition and I can actually see my hair cut!
When used as Leave in conditioner, after natural drying :
3. Before Blow dry : I don’t generally blow dry my hair but for the sake of the review, I did try it out. It does make the blow dry less harsh. Sometimes (after a home blow dry), the hair can feel rough, with this as a pre- treatment, I did not notice the roughness that I usually experience when I dry my hair.
4. Finishing touch for shine and frizz control : Right on both accounts, my frizz has reduced considerably! I’ve had people tell me that my hair isn’t all frizzy like before and looks much smoother and more defined now. It also adds a lovely soft shine to the hair.
5. To smooth dry ends throughout the day : I don’t have actually dry feeling ends but they look drier because of my fading golden-ish highlights which have this straw-ish color now. Sometimes while clicking pictures for FOTDs I realize that my hair is looking dry and lustre-less in the pictures. I apply 1 pump on the elixir just on the lower length, concentrating on the ends and it does improve the apperance, giving a darker,more lustrous look.
Applied on dry hair :
Overall, this is a really great product for people who have the issues of hair dryness,dullness, frizz and untamed hair. This adds definition and volume, controls frizz and overall improves the general look of the hair adding shine and lustre to the hair. My favorite way to use this is as a leave in conditioner(on wet hair) and as a serum on dry hair- it acts like a quick fix for dullness/dry ends. It is expensive no doubt but it is worth its price. Since you don’t need more than 2 pumps at a time (you may need 1 for shorter hair and 3 if you hair is below the waist), the 125 ml will last quite a few months. I personally love this product and when my bottle gets over, will definitely purchase another!
Just in case any of you are wondering, it doesn’t help with hair fall or dandruff because its applied on the hair length and not on the scalp at the roots.
Disclaimer : This post contains a Press Sample sent by the brand PR for review. My opinions are honest as always.