Here’s a look I tried today using MAC Mineralize eye shadow ‘Smoked Ruby‘ from the Semi Precious collection. Smoked Ruby is a gorgeous blackened rich red-maroon shimmery color which makes for a lovely evening party eye makeup look. I must admit I’ve been sold on this color (and the name!) since I saw it on Temptalia few months back when this collection was launched in the US.
This is the finished look :
Most people would shy away from a red/maroon eye shadow but in my opinion it looks gorgeous on warm/olive skin tones . Since the shade is quite warm, it should be paired with warm cheek and lip colors for best effect. A pink lip color would completely spoil this look! Since the eye makeup is quite intense (though not so smokey!), one can pair a nude lip color like Lakme enrich satin lipstick no. 133 with it but I chose to pair it something a little deeper – a coral/brownish brick shade – Lancome La laque fever lip shine in Rose Daria. When pairing this with an ethnic outfit, one can apply kohl on waterline instead of a flesh toned pencil but I didn’t want this to be a typical smokey look and I liked how chic the eye makeup looks with a white/flesh colored pencil on waterline.
Since this is an evening party look and I did this makeup at night, I have taken images with flash so that the colors and highlighters show up well!!
Summary of the look :
On a well moisturized face, conceal required areas , apply foundation and set with powder. For the eyes, start by applying primer/paint pot, smudge black kohl on upper lash line and define crease using a taupe brown eye shadow. Apply Smoked Ruby using a damp brush all over lid and blend at crease (using a dry brush). Line waterline with flesh colored pencil, apply taupe brown eye shadow on lower lash line, highlight inner corner and browbone and finish off with mascara. Pair with natural warm pink blush and mid tone brick lip color. Add some highlighter on cheekbones for some extra oomph!
Products used :
- MAC Paint pot – Indianwood (Click to read review)
- MAC Smolder eye kohl (Click to read review)
- Lancome ombre absolue radiant smoothing eye shadow divine hold ‘F75 Envie de Chocolat’ (taupe brown shade)
- MAC Mineralize eye shadow ‘Smoked Ruby’ (from Semi Precious collection)
- MAC Naked Pigment (Click to read review)
- Maybelline chai latte eye shadow quad (Darkest shade- for brows)
- Lancome Hypnose drama instant full body volume mascara
- MAC Chromagraphic pencil NC15/NW20 (Click to read review)
- Brushes : MAC 217, The Body Shop mineral eyeshadow brush, Faces eye shadow brush, Coastal Scents pointed crease brush
- MAC Studio Fix fluid foundation NC 40
- Chambor Silver shadow compact -RR2 Rose Pale
- NYX Cream blush – Rose Petal
- Lumiere cosmetics face enhancer- Natural Radiance
- The Body Shop face and body brush (not shown) , Makeup sponge (for foundation application)
- Lancome Paris La Laque Fever ultimate lasting full color lipshine – 308 Rose Daria (click to read Review)
What outfit would you pair this look with?
You might also like to read :