Hope you liked the little Sneak Peek post about my experience at Lakme ABSOLUTE Fab Lab and the press conference with Kareena Kapoor HERE. Its time for a more detailed account now! This post is about my experience at Lakme ABSOLUTE Fab Lab and some initial thoughts on the products. Part 2 will contain details about the press conference with Kareena Kapoor, the face of Lakme ABSOLUTE.
Lakme ABSOLUTE is a new makeup range being launched by Lakme that is being endorsed by Kareena Kapoor. The main focus of this range is to deliver long wear, high performance makeup products to the modern Indian woman juggling myriad roles. At the Lakme ABSOLUTE Fab Lab at Lakme Fashion Week, I got an opportunity to have a look at the range and interact with Farida Kaliyadan, General Manager, Lakme.
**Spoiler Alert: This is a long LONG post! **
Lakme ABSOLUTE Fab Lab
The entrance of the Fab Lab was beautiful- surrounded by a wall decorated with mirrors embossed with the words ‘LAKME ABSOLUTE’. The entrance was shaped like a circular section and there was a giant red pout-shaped couch in the center beyond the entrance. The Fab Lab was beautifully set up with giant mock-up models of the star products of the range rotating in the center. Around this central attraction were the products, displayed on a circular table spanning around the mock-up models.
The back wall of the Fab Lab was lined with jars containing translucent colored liquid/gels- purely for decoration but it added a lovely touch to the set up. The glass wall behind gave a lovely view of some of the greenery and a man made waterfall inside Grand Hyatt, the venue of the show.
At another side of the Fab Lab was a set up where a Lakme makeup artist was trying out products on the visitors who wanted to try certain products/get a makeover. At another side were refreshments for the visitors.
There were product catalogs placed around the products on display with Kareena Kapoor featured on the cover.
The ambiance was classy and beautiful and went well with the spirit of this makeup range- stylish and high performance with a magical touch at the same time.
Interaction with Farida Kaliyadan, General Manager, Lakme
At the onset, Ms. Farida introduced us to the range and talked about the inspirations behind Lakme Absolute. The range is a result of intensive research and consumer feedback and has been developed in collaboration with some of the best foreign companies specializing in this arena. The range aims at providing long wear makeup to the contemporary Indian woman. The formulation has been designed keeping in mind the Indian skin tones and textures. Ms. Farida talked about how Lakme is evolving and how this dynamic spirit led them to choose Kareena Kapoor as the face of this range as she embodies the spirit of this range- contemporary, beautiful and stylish.
Ms. Farida encouraged us to try out the products and offer our feedback and suggestions of the same. She also addressed our general concerns and criticisms regarding Lakme products. It was a lovely experience interacting with her and it was very kind of her to give such focused attention and time in discussing the smallest details and feedback with each one present.[smartads]
Coming to the protagonist of this story- the PRODUCTS!
My experience with the PRODUCTS
The product range of Lakme Absolute is quite impressive and I was glad to see a concealer and makeup brushes being part of this collection. All of the products claim long wear, some even upto 16 hours. The packaging of all products is a classy dark grey metallic finish – looked really classy and chic- especially the foundations and compacts. The shade range was extensive, the textures- soft,creamy and easily blendable in case of most products. This range also sees Lakme debuting some baked mineral products- eye shadow duos and blushes.
There were 4 products in this range-
1. Absolute mattreal skin natural Mousse – The packaging of this product was the most appealing- spherical metallic dark grey. The product itself was like light whipped cream in texture. It felt amazingly light and blended easily into the skin giving a flawless finish without drying the skin. Looks like a winner for combination/oily skinned women- I’m looking forward to trying out this product. Kareena Kapoor mentioned this product to be her preference for daily wear.
Lakme’s description : This mousse to powder formula delivers a feather light finish giving you breathable natural skin. While its weightless formulation hides pores, fine lines and uneven skin tone to leave skin peachy soft all thorough the day.
– Lasts upto 16 hours.
– Feather light texture
– SPF 8
2. Absolute white intense wet and dry compact – The product had a very compact packaging with a sponge applicator in a separate compartment underneath the powder pan. The texture was very smooth and the product blended like a dream on the skin. It can be applied dry as compact powder and with a damp sponge for more coverage. Very versatile product and more importantly, comes in around 11-12 shades! I’m looking forward to trying this one out too.
What Lakme says : Look naturally fair and flawless through the day with this dual long wear compact with soft focus effect. Its unique formula contains Hyaluronic Acid that deeply hydrates your skin restoring its natural youth and glow and Vitamin B3 that makes you look visibly fairer.
– Lasts upto 16 hours.
– Use it dry as a compact and wet as a foundation.
– SPF 17
There are 2 other products in this range- a liquid foundation with a thicker texture (presumably for dry-normal skin types) and the concealer but I didn’t get a chance to try those out. The concealer was not on display.
The range contains 4 baked blushes, a highlighter duo and a bronzer duo.
1. Absolute Cheek chromatic blush : The baked blush had the texture and finish typical of mineral products. The packaging is similar to Chambor baked blush. The texture was quite soft and it was quite richly pigmented. The shade selection was quite pretty with a peach, a warm pink, a warm soft brownish bronze and a plummy pink with gold shimmer.
What Lakme says :
Capture that shimmering glow onto your skin with this luxurious powder blush that has been baked on Italian terra cotta tiles. Silky soft, it comes packed with the goodness of Jojoba oil and the anti-oxidant power of Vitamin E, for an extraordinary luminosity.
– Fragrance free
– Extraordinary luminosity
– Antioxidant Vitamin E
2. Absolute sun- kissed Bronzer : This product had 2 shades in the pan- each occupying one half of the pan. The surface of the bronzer had a woven mat like finish- reminiscent of certain international makeup collections. The texture was smooth and silky and thankfully not loaded with glitter. The subtle shimmer was very finely blended and it was quite richly pigmented. I tried this on my cheeks and it gave a nice wash of warmth without looking OTT. Individual shades can be used separately or both shades can be swirled together to get a single shade.
What Lakme says :
This luxurious face and body bronzing duo contains micro-velvet pearls that deliver a natural sun kissed glow and luminous finish that lasts all day.
– Enriched with Vit E
– Dermatologically tested
3. Absolute Moon-lit Highlighter : The look of the product is same as the Sun-kissed bronzer, only the 2 shades are highlighting shades instead of bronzing ones. These were more shimmery but the shimmer was non-gritty and evenly distributed. The texture was once again quite smooth.
What Lakme says :
This luxurious ultra-pearlized face highlighter duo contains micro-fine velvet pearls that melt into your skin for a natural glow.
– Enriched with Vitamin E
– Dermatologically Tested
1. Absolute Plump and Shine : These are basically sheer-to-medium coverage lip glosses that claim to give a plumped juicy pout. The texture was good- neither sticky nor completely non-sticky. These contain some shimmer- the kind that is not too much yet not too subtle to be overlooked. Since these are not opaque, women with pigmented lips would prefer to use it over a lipstick. Comes in 6 shades. Kareena Kapoor mentioned this as one of her favorite products from this range.
What Lakme says : The secret to that juicy pout unravels.This revolutionary 3D gloss contains Marine Collagen and high shine pigments to keep lips plump and hydrated all day long.
– Dermatologically tested
– Lasts upto 6 hours.
2. Absolute lip sync 6 in 1 travel kit : This is basically a lip palette with 6 different shades to cater to every occasion. 2 of these shades were shimmery while others had a creamy finish. I found the texture rather hardened and I had to scrape hard with the brush to get some color onto it. But this may be due to the tester sitting out for a while so I’ll give a benefit of doubt to this one. While the concept is good, I hope the shades in a fresh palette are soft and creamy.
What Lakme says :
Take color wherever you go. This slender case contains six fabulous shades that cater to your lips from morning to night.
There are few more products for the lips but the testers were not labelled so I’m not sure which one was which. One of the products ABSOLUTE Lip Last is a lip color that comes with a precision brush , the product is dispensed on the brush by clicking at a button at the end of the tube- this product was not on display. Mentioned by Kareena Kapoor as one of her favorites.
Among the products on display were lipsticks in both matte and creme finish. The texture of most was soft, but not buttery. Single swipe gave medium color which could be built up in 2-3 swipes. The more impressive part was the shade selection! There are a lot of pinks, mauves, plums, bricks, corals/peachy browns in the lipstick collection. I tried out on the lipsticks in a red shade and I loved the matte finish and color though it began to feel a little drying after 2 hours.
The last lip product on display were long wear glosses. Some of these were rather shimmery while some had a smooth creamy finish. The texture was sticky for the shimmery ones and non-sticky, a little runny for the non-shimmery ones. The shade selection is quite wide and varied. The coverage appeared sheer to medium.
The eye makeup range contains 4 baked eye shadow duos, 3 liquid liners, a kohl, eye pencils and a mascara
1. Absolute eye chromatic chromatic baked shadows : These are eye shadow duos in 2 coordinating shades. The texture was smooth and they were richly pigmented. The pearl finish gave the colors a little extra oomph. The shade selection contains a green duo, a warm coppery brown duo, a pink/silver duo and a plum/pink duo. I just wish there was a blue one too to complete the collection!
Looking forward to trying these out.
What Lakme says :
Make a statement with this revolutionary eye shadow that has been baked on Italin terra cotta tiles and formulated with light reflecting pearls to deliver extraordinary shine with a silk finish. Use it dry for a soft day look and wet for a dramatic night look.
– High intensity pigments.
2. Absolute shine line : These are liquid liners, provided with a brush that I found to be one of the better brushes I have seen in a while. I generally prefer felt tip liners because of the ease of application but I found the brush in this one quite good. The pigmentation of these is great. Comes in 3 shades- a pearly emerald green, a gunmetal shade and a black(or was it brown?) I liked the shades in this one- especially the green and gun metal. The shades have a pearl finish so that they are not ‘shimmery’ and quite appropriate for work wear too.
What Lakme says :
Enhance your eyes with just a single stroke. This water based formulation stabilized with unique thickeners delivers deep color and an intense pearl finish that lasts through the day. Comes with a long handle applicator to create smooth, defined lines.
– Intense lines
-One stroke color
Apart from the above, the eye product range contains the Absolute Kohl Ultimate (already launched some time back), the Forever Silk liners (already launched) and a dramatic effect mascara (Not on display).
This range contains an eye makeup brush and a blush brush. I did not try out the eye makeup brush but the blush brush was quite dense and soft and blended the product I tried (Sun kissed bronzer) like a dream. The size of the brush was quite suitable for both compact/powder as well as blush application.
Final thoughts :
It was a wonderful experience having a look at the new collection displayed so beautifully and interacting with Farida Kaliyadan. Its great to see an Indian Brand foraying into high performance makeup range particularly for the requirements of working women. The packaging is quite sleek and classy and the textures, shade selections quite promising. Lakme has introduced some new products in this range which will cater to a wider audience and age group. None of the products are over-the-top shimmery or glittery which will make this collection more wearable. It is a promising collection and with Kareena Kapoor endorsing it, it is bound to create a stir when it is finally launched. The price range is expected to be a bit on the higher side but hopefully still within reach of consumers Lakme has always catered to.
I’m looking forward to trying this range and I’m thankful to the Lakme team for organizing this meet and giving us a chance to preview the range and interact with the team 🙂
Here’s a pic of me with Farida Kaliyadan, General Manager, Lakme
What products are you looking forward to?