Today I’m reviewing one of the most popular and much hyped products from MAC – Smolder eye kohl. ‘Smolder’ is basically a black eye kohl that comes in a sharpen-able pencil form. The USP of this product is that the shade is an unmatched blackest black!
Price: Rs 790
Quantity : 1.36 g
What MAC says about the product :
“A soft-on pencil liner that lines, defines and shades the eyes with rich colour and a silky-smooth,matte/pearl finish. Ophthalmologist tested.”
My take on the product : Before my first MAC purchase I got a lot of recommendations on IMBB for this product. However, I couldn’t bring myself to spend Rs 790 on a kohl then. Much later, my Mum picked it up as a gift for me after I raved about how ‘black’ it is O:-)
The first thing I noticed about the product is that the pencil is really long. In fact, all MAC kohls come in this size- much longer than the average pencil form products from other brands. On applying for the first time, I was amazed at how creamy and smooth it was, without being overly soft- thus it doesn’t break on sharpening or applying. And the third thing I noticed was the blackest black color with a glistening- slightly oily looking finish.
It comes in the standard black MAC packaging– it looks classy and is very convenient to use. The kohl is soft but not so soft that it will break on sharpening. The pencil is quite long so it’ll last for a long time, I’ve been using mine for 3-4 months now , at least 4 times a week and I’ve barely used up 20% of the product.
One of the biggest pros of this product is that it does transfer to my contact lenses unlike almost all other kajals.
I have used MAC Smolder to create a dramatic smokey eye look HERE.
Coming to the good and bad about the product..
The GOOD about MAC Smolder eye kohl :
1. Convenient and classy black MAC Packaging. The wooden pencil sharpens easily with a standard sharpener.
2. Super smooth texture and yet not overly soft.
3. Blackest black color- nothing else (Except MAC Feline kohl- limited edition) comes close to how black it is! Also has a slightly oily finish which makes the color looking richer.
4. Staying power – This product is essentially smudgy so for watery eyes, it smudges a LOT but stays put on my waterline for almost the entire day unless I rub my eyes.
5. Fades evenly with time, does not give me raccoon eyes unlike other kajals (but again, won’t suit people with watery eyes)
6. It can be smudged to create a variety of smokey looks. In fact, a MAC MUA told me it is meant for smokey looks. It does not ‘set’ or become smudge-proof after applying unlike some other liners.
7. Safe for contact lens wearers. Does not transfer your lenses(unlike other kajals). Opthalmologically tested.
8. Water -resistant (not waterproof though)
The NOT-SO-GOOD about MAC Smolder eye kohl –
1. Not smudge-proof .. smudges a LOT if you have watery and can give horrible raccoon eyes
Overall Verdict : It is super-black, very pigmented and smooth eye kohl that is best suited for creating smokey looks because of it smudgy nature. Can work as a wonderful kohl that stays all day long without smudging for people who do not have watery eyes but otherwise it is capable of giving horrible raccoon eyes. The pencil is quite long and lasts a long time and despite being creamy, it is not overly soft and hence doesn’t break on sharpening/use. Safe for contact lens wearers and does not transfer to lenses like other kajals. The biggest CON is the hefty price tag of Rs 790.
I find Faces kajal a cheaper substitute for this product- the color is quite black and it doesn’t smudge like other kajals. Read review HERE.
Since it is meant to be used for smudgy ,smokey looks and not as simply as a kajal, I’m rating it accordingly.
Rating : 4/5 (-1 for being expensive)
Will I repurchase : At Rs 790, probably NO.
Have you tried MAC Smolder? Which is your favorite kajal? Share your comments by replying below.