How to coordinate makeup with outfit Vol 1 : Makeup looks to suit every outfit

Hi everyone,

I’m starting a series of posts on How to coordinate makeup with outfit after receiving requests from a few readers. While starting out with makeup, I myself struggled with coordinating lip colors, eye makeup and blush with the outfit and the occasion. It seems overwhelming at first but a little knowledge about colors and practice over time makes it easy as you go along.

This is just a basic guideline for those starting out with makeup , who find themselves at a loss on how to coordinate colors and clothes and end up either making a makeup blunder or wearing the same makeup over and over again.

In Volume 1 of this series of posts, I’m doing a few looks that can be worn with any outfit.

Hope you find this useful 🙂

1. Neutral Smokey eyes and nude lips

A basic smokey eye using neutral shades like brown, grey, khaki or even black for a dramatic look , paired with nude lips and blush.

Guideline : If you’re using a nude lipstick with a cool undertone (pink, mauve) use a cool toned blush and if you’re using a warm toned nude lipstick, use a warm blush or bronzer.

I have paired plummy brown smokey eyes with a warm blush(Maybelline Apricot Flush) with a nude lipstick with a coral undertone(Lakme Enrich #133 from Lakme Fantasy Collection)

Plummy brown smokey eyes with nude lips

Plummy brown smokey eyes with nude lips

Plummy brown smokey eye

2. Natural look

For this look, use an eyeshadow close to your skin tone, use liner, kajal/brown kohl, mascara and pair it with blush and lipstick close to your skin tone for a natural effect. Read complete post HERE.

Day wear natural makeup look

Day wear natural makeup look

Neutral everyday eye makeup

3. Dewy Pink look

Moisturized skin, natural pink cream blush, a little highlighter on cheekbones and glossy pink lips is the simplest way to get this look.  Read the full post on dewy pink look HERE and HERE.

Natural dewy pink look

Natural dewy pink look

Natural dewy pink look

4. Contoured eyes with statement lips

Add a little more dimension to the eyes by blending a dark brown eyeshadow into the outer corner and crease, wear liner on upper lash line and skip the kohl. Finish with mascara. Pair this with a statement lip and a hint of earthy blush. Read complete post HERE.

Contoured eye- bold lip look

5. Smoldering Summer eyes

One of the quick everyday look, apply kohl on upper and lower lash line, smudge and set with powder eyeshadow of your choice- grey, plum, brown, black,khaki etc. Pair with a natural looking lipstick/gloss and you’re done! Read tutorial on how to do this eye makeup HERE.

Contoured eye- bold lip look

Smoldering summer eyes look

Smoldering Summer eyes look

6. Cat eyes and glossy nude lips

For a slightly dramatic look, ditch the regular liner for a cat eyes look. Pair with neutral lipstick or gloss. Read full post HERE.

cat eyes-glossy lips look

Simple cat eye makeup

And lastly, the simplest ,easiest and very popular kajal and lip balm/gloss look 🙂 (sorry, no pics!)

So which look did you like most? What do you wear most often? Suggestions and comments are welcome!

1. May 26, 2011 / 9:04 pm

oh you started this series… great 🙂 loved all of the looks here… specially the 2nd… that is what i am most likely to do most days… 🙂

• May 26, 2011 / 9:07 pm

Thanks Anks 🙂 I like the 2nd look too..its very wearable and versatile! Hope you find the series useful!

2. May 26, 2011 / 10:45 pm

Very useful post. Loved your cat eyes 🙂

• May 26, 2011 / 11:33 pm

i bet i will… 🙂 in fact, i think i should pick one of these for work tomo…

• May 27, 2011 / 10:26 am

😀 Let me know what you pick..

3. May 27, 2011 / 1:07 am

nice article…n lovee all the looks..

4. May 27, 2011 / 10:24 am

Lovely post Ankita 🙂

5. Shai
    May 27, 2011 / 12:37 pm

I love 1 and 5!!

6. Periwinklegirl
    May 27, 2011 / 12:55 pm

Hey…Love your looks..Do you have an FB account?I would love to add you.I liked your corallista page.Can you give me your FB page link so I can add?Thank you.PS-I hope you don;t mind:)

7. nidhi
    May 27, 2011 / 1:33 pm

oh ankita i like u a lot , u look glamorous and ur eyes and lips are ur speciality, can u do a video tutorial of all this

• May 27, 2011 / 2:40 pm

Thank you Nidhi 🙂 I do not a good vid camera yet Nidhi so can’t do video tutorials just yet but will do them in the future.

8. nidhi
    May 27, 2011 / 1:36 pm

i think u wear contact lens ,if so do all products u use for eyes are safe for contact lens wearers , well tell me which mascara will i bought maybelline collosal or colorbar duo ,beacuse my eyes are sensitive and eyelids feel hard after applying mascara

• May 27, 2011 / 2:39 pm

Ya I wear contacts and everything I use here has not irritated my eyes in any way and if it has I would mention it. I’ve only used Maybelline colossal and Lotus so far. I liked the Maybelline one better though it is a little difficult to take off as it does settle well and makes the lashes a little hard. The Lotus one is good but the formula is very liquid so it takes some time to dry and it is not as volumizing as Maybelline colossal. Maxfactor, Bourjois and Revlon have some very good mascaras. I need a new mascara and would be purchasing one soon..will let you know when I do 🙂

9. August 24, 2011 / 1:51 am

this whole series is great!! its shows a lot of versatility in looks and colors!! brilliant job!! really helps when one is just stuck for color options to match..a big thanks for this effort!

10. August 24, 2011 / 1:53 am

This whole series is great!! its shows a lot of versatility in looks and colors!! brilliant job!! really helps when one is just stuck for color options to match..a big thanks for this effort!!

August 24, 2011 / 1:52 pm

Thanks Kejal 🙂 Glad you liked it!